Milborne Port is a large, but friendly village in the South Eastern part of Somerset, on the edge of the Blackmore Vale and close to the Dorset border.
The village is fortunate to have all the main services which a village needs - shops, post office, doctors surgery (with a new medical centre to be built in the near future), library, churches, pubs, clubs, playing fields, children's play areas, as well as a good range of clubs and societies.
The Milborne Port Parish Council
The parish of Milborne Port (which includes also the hamlet of Milborne Wick) has a population of just over 2,600 (ref 2001 Census).
The Parish Council, on behalf of the residents :
- Owns, manages and maintains the Town Hall
- Owns, manages and maintains the cemetery in Wheathill Lane
- Owns the playing fields at Springfield Road, which are run by a management committee
- Owns and maintains children's play areas at Springfield Road and Gainsborough (there is also a third play area off Prankerds Road, which is owned by South Somerset District Council)
- Owns and maintains the skate park at Gainsborough
- Owns, manages and maintains the allotment gardens at Gainsborough
- Owns and maintains East Street car park
- Owns and maintains the Grove Public Garden in Church Street
- Owns and maintains the Remembrance Garden or Ball Court off the High Street
- Provides and maintains public benches
- Provides litter bins and dog waste bins, which are then serviced by the District Council
- Also maintains the Clump (Bathwell Lane) and Rosemary Street "triangle", as well as the old pump house at the bottom of Gainsborough
- Considers and gives comments on all planning applications in the parish (the final decision on applications is taken by South Somerset District Council)
- Liaises with South Somerset District Council, Somerset County Council and Somerset Highways on matters of concern relating to the parish
There are 13 councillors, elected for a term of 4 years. See "Your Councillors" for details.
For further details about the Milborne Port Parish Council click here.